Wednesday 23 December 2009

All to quickly

I am indulging in a favourite hobby of mine. It is just unfortunate that this particular hobby evokes in others the image of a little old lady with a multi-coloured shawl rocking back and forth in her chair in front of a fireplace with her cat beside her and a cup of tea. I am not, as it happens, a little old lady. Occasionally I may feel like one.

This hobby is of course 'crochet.' But, I am pleased to say, the range of modern, fashionable crochet patterns is growing and I have several projects on the go at once. Some of which I may even finish. These patterns range from hats and scarves, to jumpers, coats and bags. They're great for accessories to match what ever you like, and a lot of them don't actually take that long to do.

I recently finished an evening wrap, which I could probably sell in Debenhams for hundreds, but instead cost me very little. Unfortunately the best place I found for good, everyday yarns at reasonable prices is called Michaels, and is in America. The availability of yarn in this country is pathetic and costs the earth. A beautiful pattern I found recently required, for a pair of long gloves, two skeins of hand-dyed wool, a mere snip at £16 per skein. I have filed that pattern away until I can explore America for the cheaper alternative.

I have found a few patterns recently that I liked the look of, but haven't bought yet, due to the immense work involved. For example, I saw this funky, bright Afghan that would be great to brighten up the conservatory: http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=3374&cat_id=2 But it is one of those projects you have to really dedicate a lot of time to (look at the number of different colours in that thing! I'd need a whole sack of wool for it). So I'll wait until I've finished the projects I'm on first.

Well, I also have Mum's chunky knitting machine up. I'm working on a new jumper (the weather called for it). It's been on hold for the past month or so because of my hand operation, but I'm back now and intend to finish it for the new year (so I can start another one).

Now, back to the beret I'm making for my Granny and the doily I'm making for my mother. Does anyone else see the irony?

3 comments:

Esther said...

Have you joined Ravelry? It's very useful for searching for patterns many of them free and I fond it useful to log the projects I'm working on plus there are many groups and forums you can use to get ideas and info on where to buy things like yarn.

https://www.ravelry.com/

Esther said...

Oh and on the subject of the gloves on Inside Crochet I really like them to and got several packs of the right weight yarn from Lidl recently for less that £16 (for enough yarn for 6 pairs!) so it's worth looking about. Many of the designers for that mag are on ravelry and willing to help with any problems.. I want to make the slipper boot things !!!

Sibyl Harbinger said...

Thanks for the info. I'll sign up and take a look.

If you make those gloves, I'd love to see them! :)